By Nicole Cress
“Welcome to the gun show!” – Yeah, we’ve all heard that expression.
Summertime is here, and that means tank-top season – time to show off those shapely arms you’ve worked so hard for!
I have to say that I am proud of my baby biceps! How did I get them? For one thing, whenever I train them, I work to engage the muscle fully and get the most activation. Here are some of my training tips that you can incorporate into your program, plus a killer biceps tri-set that will help you get a little gun show going of your own.
- Don’t swing the weights! Lower the poundage if you have to, but avoid using momentum to move the weight.
- Keep your shoulders down and back—something I have to remind myself constantly.
- Don’t lift your elbows—it brings your rear delts into the movement.
- Keep your wrists in line with your forearms as you bring them from the stretch position to the contraction.
- Change up your tempos! Try lowering the weight with a three-to-four-second negative—an advanced move, so don’t be afraid to lighten the poundage. Aim for constant tension.
Gun Show Biceps Tri-set
Do all three exercises back to back. Rest one minute, and then repeat for three rounds.
Alternate cross-body curls, 3 x 8
Hold a 2-second contraction at the top.
Incline dumbbell curls, 3 x 10
Include a 3-second negative.
Dumbbell spider curls, 3 x 12
Hold a hard flex at the top.
Check back soon for more great tips here at our new BeautyFit BeautyBlog (presented by BeautyFit) and be sure to check out Digital Muscle’s Women’s Blog!
Nicole Cress is a health and wellness coach and the co-owner (with her husband, Allen Cress) of Maximum Performance Training, where she helps others reach their fitness goals through online coaching. She holds a degree in exercise science from Transylvania University and advocates living a balanced lifestyle, guiding her clients to focus on being whole and well in mind, body and spirit. A national-level bikini competitor who has been competing since 2010, Nicole is also a Team BeautyFit-sponsored athlete with a mission to help women feel beautiful inside and out.
The Beauty Blog – presented by BeautyFit Nutrition, features various contributors provided by members of Team BeautyFit. Topics are focused on training, nutrition and supplementation – geared specifically to women!