By Nicole Cress
“Welcome to the gun show!” – Yeah, we’ve all heard that expression.
Summertime is here, and that means tank-top season – time to show off those shapely arms you’ve worked so hard for!
I have to say that I am proud of my baby biceps! How did I get them? For one thing, whenever I train them, I work to engage the muscle fully and get the most activation. Here are some of my training tips that you can incorporate into your program, plus a killer biceps tri-set that will help you get a little gun show going of your own.
- Don’t swing the weights! Lower the poundage if you have to, but avoid using momentum to move the weight.
- Keep your shoulders down and back—something I have to remind myself constantly.
- Don’t lift your elbows—it brings your rear delts into the movement.
- Keep your wrists in line with your forearms as you bring them from the stretch position to the contraction.
- Change up your tempos! Try lowering the weight with a three-to-four-second negative—an advanced move, so don’t be afraid to lighten the poundage. Aim for constant tension.
Gun Show Biceps Tri-set
Do all three exercises back to back. Rest one minute, and then repeat for three rounds.
Alternate cross-body curls, 3 x 8
Hold a 2-second contraction at the top.
Incline dumbbell curls, 3 x 10
Include a 3-second negative.
Dumbbell spider curls, 3 x 12
Hold a hard flex at the top.
Nicole Cress is a health and wellness coach and the co-owner (with her husband, Allen Cress) of Maximum Performance Training, where she helps others reach their fitness goals through online coaching. She holds a degree in exercise science from Transylvania University and advocates living a balanced lifestyle, guiding her clients to focus on being whole and well in mind, body and spirit. A national-level bikini competitor who has been competing since 2010, Nicole is also a Team BeautyFit-sponsored athlete with a mission to help women feel beautiful inside and out.
The Beauty Blog – presented by BeautyFit Nutrition, features various contributors provided by members of Team BeautyFit. Topics are focused on training, nutrition and supplementation – geared specifically to women!